The announcement of the COVID-19 pandemic has sent many into a panic. As a marketer, you’re probably advising your company on how to communicate during this time. Here are 5 tips for communicating both internally and externally during a crisis situation.
- The health and well-being of your employees and customers come first. With that said, as a marketer, you’re probably not also a medical professional. Follow the guidelines as set forth by reputable health organizations including the CDC and World Health Organization. Closely monitor the updates from these established health organizations.
- Be the Calm in the storm. If you stay calm during this crisis, you can influence and encourage others to stop panicking. Keep a positive outlook and remind others of what we have to be thankful for.
- Keep communications timely and transparent. Once a decision is made, communicate it clearly and quickly to the appropriate audience. Realize during this time that an email to your customers probably will not be read unless it starts with, “Changes we are implementing due to COVID-19.” Update your website and social media communications with, “Here’s what we’re doing to address COVID-19.”
- Establish a standard script and protocol for employees when speaking with customers. Keep the lines of communications open between customers, employees and management.
- Pitch in where you can. As a marketer, find ways to help other departments where they need it that may or may not be within your job description. Perhaps you’ll need to stop running that social media promotion and help the HR department with employee scheduling.
Finally, this isn’t the first pandemic, and if we work together, we will persevere and overcome.